Wednesday 15 August 2012

In search of the lost world of Mesopotamia

Experience and anecdote, and possibly some scientific research, inform us that when inebriated we crave greasy food. We've all seen the group of corpulent chaps sat in the curry house at 2am eating Vindaloo and Nan bread washed down with liberal quantities of chemical-laden gassy lager. Some of us have even been unlucky enough to be one of those fellows. For others the donner kebab - no not the authentic delicious Turkish lamb dish, but the elephantine leg of mostly connective tissue and fat seen rotating by night in high street take-away windows - represents our post-beer satisfaction of choice. Not I. After a tankard of ale and a wee dram or two my appetites turn to Italy - well sort of.

My drunken predilecation is for Pizza. I say sort of Italian because it is not for a crispy Margherita or Marinara that I yearn. Instead it is to that unrivaled gastronomic trio of pepperoni, jalapeƱos and spicy beef that I turn. That was until one evening after a pint (or two) my girlfriend (now wife) and I went to Nibbles Pizza in Broomhill in Sheffield. We chose a stupidly large pizza - it would feed a family of four for a weekend - called a Mesopotamia with extra cheese. The standard Mesopotamia lacked cheese - which seems odd because I have since read that some historians believe cheese production started in Mesopotamia (probably not cheddar though). We then proceeded to scoff the lot in her student hovel while quaffing a bottle of Hardy's VR Cab Sauv - a scene repeated several times as we sought escape from writing our PhD theses.

Since leaving Sheffield (around 6 years ago) I have not encountered a gourmet treat so delicious. In truth, it was probably never that good to start with - the loved up feeling of a young couple with no responsibilities and copious quantities of booze almost certainly made it seem far better than the reality. Never-mind, here I start my quest to recreate the Mesopotamia with extra cheese of my dreams. And when (and if) I get there, I'm going to take it to Nibbles for a Pepsi challenge taste test.

My first attempt will be the Sfiha (or my corruption thereof).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment